Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Learning to Scuba Dive

SCUBA DIVING IN PHUKET


One of my aims in setting up 'paulsthaihouse' was to offer Scuba Diving to any of you that would like to try.
I've bought four complete sets of scuba diving gear (very expensive) and we have the house pool to learn in. You just have to supply the fins (or flippers!) as I couldn't cater for all the different size feet! There's no need for a wet suit as the sea is so warm...but if you wish to bring one or buy one here, then so be it!


I found it very difficult to learn to Scuba Dive. As a result of my own experiences, I always hoped that if I ever ended up in a position where I could encourage people to take up diving then I would teach it in a way very different to the way I was taught. In fact, as a result of the instruction I received I did not take up diving until many years later. I learnt a lot of lessons back then about how not to teach diving and so it is my intention to make your instruction as personal, stress free and relaxed as possible. Everyone has different requirements and has varying levels of confidence. Diving is all about confidence based on a good solid foundation of knowledge and positive experience...and that's exactly what I aim to provide for you.

For the past six years I have been involved with the big diving resort Buddha View on the Thai island of Koa Toa. Koa Toa is where my son Tom learnt to be a PADI Instructor although he is now making his living as a full time commercial diver. In 2007 I spent 3 months at Buddha View on the Dive Master course which teaches you how to assist and lead fellow divers. Prior to this I had gone down the PADI Master Scuba Diver route whereby you can choose from any number of courses to develop your own skills and knowledge. Jai (your crew on Offshore Rebel) and son Tom was with me for the past six years as we dived in the Phillipines, Vietnam, Cambodia and much of Thailand with Tom and I also enjoying the excellent diving at Dahab in the Red Sea. In the past three years number 2 son, Sam, has joined us at the Red Sea and spent this Xmas with me in Koh Toa and then here in Phuket.




Over the past two months the majority of my guests have expressed the desire to learn. One guest was a quaified PADI diver but had lost is confidence through a bad experience with a dive resort in another country; one lady guest had always been nervous of the sea and of being out of her depth; another had never thought they would have the confidence to try. One guest took three days to be able to put her face under water....but so what? We have plenty of time. No-one is going to pressurise anyone. We can take as long as you like over any aspect of learning to dive. I've even had the pleasure of teaching two Thai's to dive....and they hate the sea...something about spirits living in it or summat!!






After as much time as an individual requires in the pool, we progress to the sea and practice our new skills in shallow water before gently progressing deeper.




The practical sessions are supported with videos and diving manuals if you so desire.
Several guests have enjoyed the experience so much that they have progressed on to the full PADI Open Water Course and, as I write, two of our guests are 'at sea' on their first two boat dives as part of their course.


Today, Jai and I found another great location for shore diving. Very clear water, colourful corals and stacks of fish. There's some clear sandy patches running parallel to the reef where we can practice your new skills without fear of wacking yourself on a sharp seabed. It is my intention to construct shore diving safari's now that I have the equipment and a jeep to carry it all around in. What a great way to spend the day with a tasty Thai lunch or dinner on the beach after the dive.
The local dive schools are being brilliant with me...filling my scuba tanks and offering lots of local advice.


For the really keen there are some superb liveaboard trips to the Surin and Simian Islands. These are trips where you live on the dive boat for several days and can do up to five dives a day if you wish....the company is always good and the food is superb.


Scuba Diving is a fantastic sport to try.........so, here is your chance.........and with me........learning it is all free as part of your holiday!!!!!!! (Just pay for the air in the tanks and the fuel in the car!)

1 comment:

  1. This is really fascinating, You're a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your feed and sit up for in quest of more of your great post.

    Also, I have shared your website in my social networks

    Check out my web page - home inspectors ()

    ReplyDelete